Friday, 29 May 2009

Jake Goss's Banyan Tree

My sister knows this guy called Jake. Jake plays Jazz. Jake was looking to cut his first record and asked my sister if she knew anyone who could design him a cover. She volunteered me to do it. So I did. Here's the first batch of designs I did. One of them, the green one that looks like a piano, was designed by my sister Alice and then produced by me.The Jazz band is called Jake Goss's Banyan. If you're wondering why there's so many "s"' in Goss, its apparently grammatically correct to write it like this. A Banyan is a tree commonly found in South East Asia famous for its branches stretching out and then down to form new roots.


























































































































All these were produced in Photoshop and Illustrator. The last one (below) was inspired by the Grateful Dead's Aoxomoxoa









It first started as a sketch...

Then I placed it into Illustrator in order to manipulate the image without having to constantly redraw the whole thing...

Then I inked it in to to make it look organic...

Another redraw, this time with more detail...

The last pass before the design was abandoned - Jake didn't like the trippy representation of the instruments acting as seeds!

No comments: